Immigration New Zealand - what do I need to know?

One of the many questions about moving to New Zealand is - what does New Zealand Immigration require?

Once you have decided that New Zealand is the place for you, the next step is to find out whether you qualify to work in New Zealand. The CDHB is an Accredited Employer, which means we are pre-approved by New Zealand Immigration to make job offers to overseas applicants. If you have a job offer from an accredited employer in New Zealand, you can apply for a work visa or permit for up to 30 months under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy.

When you have worked here for two years you can apply for residence. Follow this link to find out more about the Accredited Employers Work Policy on the Immigration New Zealand website.
If you are not a New Zealand or Australian citizen or resident, you must apply for a work permit at your nearest New Zealand Embassy or High Commission. This may take several weeks, so we recommend that you begin this process immediately.

How to apply to come to New Zealand

The New Zealand Immigration website has excellent detailed information on what you need to emigrate to New Zealand. This website also has a useful Points Calculator to help you figure out if you should Complete an Expression of Interest for emigrating to New Zealand. There is also information on Moving with your Partner and other Family Categories.

Immigration options for skilled migrants

There are many different types of work visas you can apply for. As a skilled migrant, you are most likely to want to apply for a Residence Visa, which allows you to live and work in New Zealand indefinitely. To be eligible for this, you need to fit into an area where New Zealand has a skills shortage. You can find this out by checking the Immediate and Long Term Skill Shortage List (website).

If you want to live and work in New Zealand permanently, there are three main options available:

Skilled Migrant Category: This category is for employees who have the skills, qualifications and experience required by the job. It is specifically aimed at people who want to live and work permanently in New Zealand. Work to Residence: This category allows you to get a temporary work visa and/or permit as a step towards gaining permanent residence. Applicants may be qualified in occupations that are in demand in New Zealand. Residence from Work:This category is for people who are already in New Zealand on a Work to Residence permit, and want to apply for residence.

Useful Immigration Websites

All Rights Reserved - Canterbury District Health Board
Web Design by Activate Design